Monday 9 December 2013

12 Days of Christmas Clock

Hi, Lucy here, with my first project for Snazzys, using the beautiful vintage Graphic 45 'Twelve Days of Christmas' kit which Val kindly sent us.

 
The Twelve Days made me think of points on a clock, so I bought a clock from the pound shop to take the mechanism out, and one of their gold charger plates, the sort of thing you have under a dinner plate at Christmas dinner. For the numbers around the edge I used the Pear Tree paper from the 8 x 8 pad and a 1 inch circle die and cut each of the 12 including the icon which accompanies it, e.g. 4 Calling Birds. This was the most fiddly part of the project but I managed to only use one sheet! I wanted the numbers to really stand out so I went over them with an embossing pen and used red embossing powder. I used the next size up circle die to cut a brown Core-dinations layer to go behind the numbers and sanded the edges, and glued the pieces into position on the plate.


I decided I wanted the centre of the clock to be quite subtle so it wouldn't fight too much with the clock hands so I used the Golden Rings paper which is a soft gold pattern. I drew round a tea plate then cut it out and sanded the edges. I embossed the 'Twelve Days of Christmas' text from the stamp set No 1 in red, top centre. I then fussy cut the partridge and the pears from the Turtle Doves paper and adhered these at the bottom centre and added a very light touch of glitter.



I had to make a hole in the plate for the clock mechanism and I was worried about shattering the plate! I actually went into the garage and got the workmate and the soldering iron out! For those who know me, this is very out of character! But actually it was incredibly easy so I would recommend it.

The stamp set I have is No 1, with the song words, but it looks as if No 2 would work brilliantly for this project if you get that set instead as you could stamp the numbers instead of using the circles of the paper with the numbers and icons on. If you had a smaller clock face, you could stamp them on shrink plastic. Either way, I feel this would make a practical present for someone who likes to bring their Christmas decorations out every year.

I'll be back later on this week with another project using this kit.

9 comments:

Maryann Laursen said...

Soooooooooo beautiful work and what an awesome idea for this line to use it for a clock. Beautiful work.

Kathyk said...

Smashing idea and beautifully done too

Kathyk

snazzyoriginal said...

The delicate red embossing of the numbers not only make those pop but also highlight the icons. It must have taken a very steady hand to do this so precisely. Such a clever idea to make a clock and I have to say it looks even better IRL as it sits on my workshop table! Thank you Lucy xx

Solange Barreto said...

Amo seus projetos, maravilhosos. Beijo, feliz semana.

Minxy said...

What a clever idea, Love the rich look of the charger, A great first project xo

Julie Lee said...

What a great idea and it works brilliantly! Very, very impressive - even if you didn't actually visit Sweden in the process of making it! Julie Ann xx

Claire said...

A really lovely project Lucy - again so different from all the other makes so far. I love the subtle background and the red numbers together! Claire x

Words and Pictures said...

Really great - so inventive to combine the gold charger plate (have a whole set of them tucked away in storage somewhere!) with the clock to create this magnificent piece, and the papers look great.
Alison x

Unknown said...

Love, love, love that clock!!!