Monday 3 September 2012

Design Team Project #1 featuring Chocolate Baroque Steampunkery Stamps (by Astrid)

Hello, hello everyone! Where has the summer gone I wonder, here we are, in September already....

As many of you know, this time round we are showing you creations with the wonderful Chocolate Barque Steampunk stamps, the Steampunk Travel Plate. I hope most of you will have seen all the wonderful projects created this month already, and if not, make sure you have a look before leaving.
I will be showing you two projects this month,  both under the theme of "Steampunk with a Feminine Twist". Both projects belong together. I'm showing the first one today and the second on Thursday, so I hope you'll come back.


I decided to alter a box that was a gift given to me by my friend Zuzu It started life looking like this:

 

Very sexy I know, but the real reason I love this type of box is because it has a really strong magnetic closure, is very sturdy and really fun to alter. This is how I went about it: First I painted it inside and out with Espresso Paintdabber.  Once dry I painted it with crackle medium from my stash and when that was dry to the touch I added a second layer of paint, this time Cloudy Blue Dabber. The background pattern was then created with the help of the very thin top layer from a paper serviette. Finally I inked the edges with  Timber Brown Stazon and Inka Gold.
The inside of the box was lined with paper from my stash


For the embellishments on the lid I used some of the stamps



I took a piece of silver miri card, dabbed a black dabber all over it and wiped most of it off again with a piece of kitchen roll. I then sprayed it with 3 colours of Cosmic Shimmer Mist, Ancient Copper, Patina and Bronze Blushthese last two belong to the Vintage range of colours. When dry I stamped two of the stamps from the set with black Stazon, cut them out and adhered them to the box.


The watch with wings is part of the Tando Creative Steampunk Wings and Cogs set, sprayed with the mists again. I also added a bottle cap from my stash. The clock was cut out of one of the papers from the Kaisercrafts Timeless Collection which I covered with Glossy Accents.
I further embellished with some of the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sprocket Gears and the Clock Face from Snazzys Steampunk Supplies and finally some flowers from my stash. Because the box has the magnetic closure all I needed to do to to finish it was to add a charm to the side. The sentiment is from the Darkroom Door Steampunk set




The very last step was to seal it all with a good coat of Mod Podge Matte.
Well that's it for just now; if you want to know what I am going to keep inside the box, you'll just have to come back on Thursday to see another Steampunk project with a feminine twist. Hope to see you then!


22 comments:

Minxy said...

hehehe I see what you mean about the theme running through, great minds ah!!
I love how you have your own steampunk style, the box is just super, loving the little scroll and crackly looking background x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Absolutely texturealicious!!! And the fact that men's undies where in there really amps up the delish...lol! Your coloration is fantastic...so many elements!!!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!! I would love to know how to do that!! You definitely have a gift!

Paula Whittaker said...

isn't it amazing that a box you would throw out, can turn into something so stunning!

Maryann Laursen said...

This is just amazing work Astrid. YOU ARE the master, no doubt. This is so gorgeous work, and I´m totally blown with how this kind of garbage turned into such a masterpiece, if you know, what I mean? I absolutely love it.

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous!! It looks like it's been hidden away in a dark attic & now it's going to be loved all over again.

Jenny Marples said...

Unless you'd shown it you would NEVER guess what the original box looked like. Have to say your alterations are stunning. The tissue layer has made a huge difference to the colours and design on the top. The embellies work so well too. Just love it all. Hugs, Buttons x

Julia S-W said...

I totally love this (even if you've covered up a rather fetching image. . . !!!). Your whole box is just so beautifully and embodies everything I love in craft:flowers, grungy colours, embellishments and stamping.
Juliaxx

Disco Queen said...

Beautiful!

Netty said...

wow your box is stunningly gorgeous, x

craftimamma said...

Aaargh, Mr Blogger is playing silly b....rs! I'm glad I came back to check as my comment from this morning isn't showing!

Astrid, your box is fabulous. Love all the texture from that gorgeous crackle and the beautiful colours from the napkin. Lots of lovely embellishments too. What more could a girl ask! My favourite bit is the scroll. It's a lovely touch and now I can't wait to see the second part. Something beautiful to put in this perfect box?

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Unknown said...

;0) lovely xx

Marjie Kemper said...

It's stunning, Astrid... love how you've built it up with so much gorgeous texture and color.

Rita said...

What Fabulous work Astrid. Looks like a different box all to-gether. Thank-You for sharing this project with us. Hugs Rita xx

Zuzu's Blog said...

ooo what a beautiful transformation.. can i have my box back please?
LOL

Gillian .... said...

Astrid what a transformation, love this piece of altered art full of texture & depth. x

lol @ louise :)

Words and Pictures said...

Such beautiful colours, textures and crackle vintage gloriousness! An astounding transformation - utterly lovely...
Alison x

snazzyoriginal said...

So beautiful, love how the tissue provides such delicate images and texture. With all the lovely little details I would have recognised your work immediately xx

Debbie Brackett said...

I love how you create something "sexy" into a real piece of art. Really great.

jacirascrap said...

qUANTO TRABALHO...E O RESULTADO É LINDO!!!

Karen said...

Brilliant! Love the colors & the theme.

Maggie said...

Fabulous box looks so old like you just found it in the attic!